Image Banks

Google Photos, Pixabay and Flickr

The first task required  from Thing 3, Image Banks, is to show that I used Pixabay, Google Photos and Flickr.  I have used  Pixabay occasionally,  whilst working on  Libguides at work, for example, the image of the Chemistry piston below on Pixabay which is copyright free.    The only attribution request  made by its creator, geralt / Pixabay (Image #1691301), is Like on Facebook and an optional donation via PayPal for by clicking on word Coffee.

CC0 Creative Commons

I love using Google Photos as the filter tools are great, especially the usage rights and SafeSearch filters.

I found using Flickr a bit trickier. Firstly, I had to set up an account with Yahoo.com and any time I used an image from Flickr, the photographer must be credited using the Creative Commons licence code, for example, The Beckett Bridge at Sunset, photo below from Flickr in an Engineering Libguide. 

 I felt this was a very relevant and useful exercise as it helped to increase my learning on the importance of the visual and also, the fact that there are so many images available, which are attribution free, and can be selected via media type, orientation, category and colour to enhance presentations and libguides.

A huge learning curve of this exercise was a  deeper understanding and knowledge of Creative Commons licensing attribution rules. I was confused by the number of licence types.  However,  I feel, my understanding of 'Creative Commons' concepts is now much clearer, for example, the numbers and figures that appear after the words, CC ie. (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0), are  connected to the attribution requirements of the authors/providers of the product.


This was a positive exercise, and I feel I have no excuse for over texty presentations or Facebook posts when there are so  many images available via Pixabay, Google Images and Flickr that are easy to upload and credit.   However, I have a preference for Pixabay  over Flickr, as the image bank of choice, because of the copyright free aspect of Pixabay.


Communicating Visually - Thing 4

In this exercise I used the mobile apps Photofunia, Ripl and Quik. 

I felt the significance of using images was really highlighted with these these apps. I very much enjoyed this part of Thing 4 especially when I realized  that it is not difficult to make interesting visuals and that you don't have to be a super technie to make content interesting and eye-catching.   This was an enriching learning curve.

I loved Photofunia and the bank of images available is great. Once the app is downloaded, it is easy to use and there are many image options with varying themes to choose from to create eye-catching posters and billboards, for example:


Featuring Maud Conry - at last a star!


Fun - Photofunia - rally driver -Maud test driving!


Ripl

I found Ripl to be  a very user friendly app. and I enjoyed using it. I was taken through the app step by step and I felt the learning curve was minimal.

I was walking around campus recently during lunchtime and had just discovered this app. at Rudai 23 session. I took 5/6 photos of various parts of the campus and, using the Ripl app I selected the photos, added some text, and customized the font and colours. I created the series of photos as an animation and wow, I felt I had a really catchy visual piece with music added. I posted it on my facebook page at the following link: https://www.facebook.com/maud.conry/videos/10214727878972671/.

Though I am confident using this app, I feel there is room for improvement regarding adding text and hashtags to the images. There is a pro version but I believe the basic free version, creates really good eye catchy content.



Quik App

I loved this app and I found  it is very useful when making short videos.  It is easy to use and I feel it could be very useful in my work in the library to highlight/market  the  many new Libguides available, for example, the Libguides on Citing and Referencing,  Endnote Online and Literature Reviews.

 I made the video clip below of some movies I saw recently.   The app is user friendly and easy to edit and share with friends.




Screencast -o -Matic

I did a demo of the Screencast-o-Matic and found I would need more practice on this tool to make screen recordings.   There is alot going on here between narrating and clicking on screen and it seems to me a bit trickier to manage for this newbie without more practice and a little more training.

Powtoon

I enjoyed creating  a video on Powtoon.  I had not used this tool previously.  Despite finding it a bit tricky intitally, as the screen is very busy with lots of options, I got used to it and loved the animations. After spending some time practising on it, I began to get the hang of it.  This is the Powtoon I made for invitation to a Training Event for First Years.




Comments

Post a Comment